Name: Sonia Ryan
Birth Date: 07/03/1974
Birth Place: Sherbrooke,Quebec Canada
Current Residence: New Jersey
Height & Weight: 5’1″ 112 lbs
1. What made you want to compete?
I wanted to challenge my body – my mind- and to show my 4 children that you can still make goals, work hard, and achieve those goals- no matter how old you are! I also wanted to be a healthy role model for them.
2. What do you do to stay inspired?
That’s simple I just watch my kids grow up… They inspire me more than they even realize! I work hard, eat healthy with intentions that they will learn from watching me. I’m also a posing coach to Bikini & Figure Athletes- when I meet my clients and begin to see them feel confident and beaming with pride that always helps keep me in check.
3. What shows have you already been in or plan to be in in the future?
I’ve done 5 shows in 3 years- this will be my 6th show and first time with WBFF. I’ve come on 2nd, 3rd, & 5th place in both bikini 35+ and figure short and figure 35+
4. Who got you started?
My sister-in- law competed with WBFF back in 2006 ( with Lindsey Messina) and after having my 4th child I wanted to get my pre babies body back and be the ultimate role model for them.
5. Who do you look to for help now?
I’ve learned a lot regarding competing and living a fit lifestyle in the past 4 years… I’m always looking to learn knew things! I’m proud to say I’ve found my passion and love coaching my clients and sharing my show experiences.
6. Where do you usually workout?
With my kids at home- at a gym-outdoors in a hot yoga studio
7. Do you use any suppliments? If so, what ones (brands, names, etc)
8. What are your most noticeable results?
Big round shoulders and body fat is lower…
9. Has fitness changed your life? If so, how?
It has given me great joy, happiness and patience! I truly believe if you can take care of yourself , and make yourself feel great , then you really can handle anything that comes your way. Being a mom to 4 kids (Jake 13- Julia 12- Colin 9- & Mia 6) my life can get crazy! My schedule is crazy with sports, school, activities… This lifestyle requires you to be organized and driven and it helps me with everyday life! I have the energy to get thru some of the most hectic of days.
10. What personal fitness goals have you set for yourself?
To continue growing My Posing Coach Business and to work towards getting my certifications in nutrition and personal training.
11. Describe your diet.
I eat clean & drink lots of water.
12. What does your workout schedule look like?
This is the first year I have all of my kids in school full day so I’ve incorporated hot yoga 4 days a week along with 4 days of weight training and 5-6 days of cardio.
13. What do you do for a living?
I’m a full time mom and Posing Coach to Bikini & Figure Athletes
14. What are your personal non-fitness goals?
To continue being the best mom I can be.
15. Have you participated in any other sports?
Being the oldest of 11 kids I didn’t have the opportunity to participate in sports until I was w junior in high school and at that time I ran cross country. My Mother needed my help and that was the only sport that took up the least amount of time! I always dreamed of being a gymnast or a dancer.
16. Here you can mention your family/thank you’s.
A big Thank you to my husband & kids for loving mommy as much as they do! Thank you for my sisters for coming to support me and cheer me on!
17. Do you have any hobbies?
I love to bake cakes for my kids.
18. What are challenges that you face that may keep you from reaching your fitness goals?
When the kids were younger and were sick – that was always an obstacle I would struggle with – but I’ve since found balance and involve the kids to keep it fun even when I’ve already gotten my workout in- it’s like a bonus workout and playing with the kids at the same time.
19. What obstacles have you overcome to be where you are?
Lots of them- I’m a busy mom of 4 and my life is an obstacle course- I just tackle each course one at a time.
20. Is there anything else you would like to add that you think we’ve missed?
Overall I’m just a really happy person who’s kind thoughtful and proud of the person I’ve become by living this lifestyle.